10 September 2006

Band Review
GHOST OF THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE
riyl: radiohead, doves, my morning jacket
words: john buglewicz / photography: kara whitten

Austin’s Ghost of the Russian Empire provided me with a cryptically worded biography threatening a “knife to the neck” to those who may act on assumption – luckily I never assume, and I’m modest too.


Something that Ghost of the Russian Empire’s sound isn’t – think Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. I know comparing a band to a record by another group isn’t very cool or original, especially when the record is almost unanimously agreed upon as the greatest indie rock record of the last 20 years, but get bent because Ghost of the Russian Empire really do recall that sound. The sound is large; driving drums, sonic guitars, and the neo-psychedelic vocals that made you enjoy Loveless. They’ve just recorded an EP so soon enough you’ll be able to bring that magic home with you. I suggest you play it the next time you and your girl have one of those “a blowjob isn’t degrading” arguments. Until then you’ll just have to see them.
information: Band Website / Band Myspace

No comments: