05 September 2006

Band Review / Interview
ZEALE 32
riyl: black star, jurassic 5, dilated peoples
words: andrea valdez / photography: dániel perlaky



In a time when commercial rap is at an all time high, hip-hop artists are often left in the underground. But, many of them prefer their dark, dank surroundings where the fans are true, the music is bumping, and the lyrics are meaningful. Zeale 32 informed this writer about the conscious hip-hop he and other artists representing ATX Records are putting out.
Zeale is trying to step away from topics like rims, cars, and the all-around bling-bling, and bring elements of poetry to his freestyling techniques. Zeale made his start by writing and reading his own poetry. This knack for rhyming so well naturally brought him to a higher calling: Spreading his message through music. He works with ATX Records, located behind Atomic Tattoo on the Drag and owned by cohorts Haps and Mr. Brown, in bringing virtually all hip-hop shows through Austin. If you’ve seen some sort of hip-hop ranging anywhere from Gift of Gab to Del the Funky Homo Sapien, I’m sure it’s been through the help of Zeale and ATX Records.
How long have you been doing this?
I’ve only been at it for two years, which makes lots of other hip-hop artists who have been doing this for eight or ten years pretty angry.
Did you compete in Slam competitions when you wrote your own poetry?
Actually, I started in Slams. But, I haven’t done anything like that in a while. Poetry is a totally different aspect of rhyme and thought. Hip-hop and poetry are different, but at the same time really close; you could say they’re cousins.
How did you start this career?
While riding in a car with some friends we started trying to rap. One of my buds told me I was pretty good and should look into doing something with my talent. I shook it off but, then there was a time in my life where I wasn’t working or doing a whole lot, so I decided to pick up a hobby. I would lock myself in my room and practice freestyling for at least three hours a day. Then, I began battling.
What’s battling?
I hate to say it, but most people know it from “8 Mile” with Eminem where he freestyles against competitors in front of crowds. I traveled to Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. There was a battle in Houston every Wednesday, so my buddy and I would drive down there every week until we won. We weren’t in our element at all amongst gangstas with gold teeth, but continually going back showed we were there to stay. They had to accept us. I won 25 out of 30 battles.
Are there similarities between battles and Slam competitions?
Unlike with Slams, I’ve been in battles where all I did was talk shit about my opponent. Sometimes, this would get me in trouble. I’ve had guys wait outside to jump me, and one time a guy hit me in the face onstage. So, in that respect, Slams and battles are a bit different.
Do you have a message you want to send to fans?
My message would be to keep creative thoughts alive. Don’t fall into the stream people tell you to follow. Question everything and sacrifice yourself for no one.
information: Band Myspace

No comments: